- The 26th annual MTV Video Music Awards were held last night in New York City -- and once again, it was less about the awards and more about the spectacles. Obviously, Kanye West made the biggest spectacle out of himself by interrupting Taylor Swift's acceptance speech to announce who he thought should have won (Beyonce). Does anyone care what you think, Kanye? What a total disrespectful move to a fellow artist. Let's hope that IF you ever win another award in your life, that the presenter just throws it at you and the producers refuse to allow you time to speak. How would YOU like that?
- Did you catch the premiere of the This Is It trailer on the show last night? If you missed it -- you can catch it here. The Michael Jackson documentary will have a limited 2-week run in theaters starting October 28. Tickets go on sale September 27.
- The other big trailer debut last night was for the Twilight sequel. See yesterday's post on New Moon below. You can view the trailer and take a poll on it at left.
- So, was the Kanye moment the most memorable? A trailer's debut? A performance? Or was it something else? Take the poll at left.
- Early ratings results indicate that 8.97 million tuned in to watch the telecast -- an increase of 6% over last year's telecast -- and the best for the show since 2004. The broadcast was the #1 cable offering this year for the 12-34 demo that MTV covets.
- Meanwhile, if you are interested in who actually won the awards...just click on the image above to see the list.
Other Music Polls
- There is still time to vote on two other music polls at left. Voice your opinion on Ellen DeGeneres being named the new American Idol judge. And then scroll down to the post from last Friday to see Whitney Houston's new video -- and vote on whether or not you believe it is a worthy comeback.
- Speaking of Whitney Houston -- did you remember to watch her interview with Oprah today? If not, check your local station's overnight listings -- many markets rerun her show late at night. Otherwise, I am sure you can find a copy online -- and don't forget to watch part 2 on tomorrow's show.
- Also, don't miss the debut episode of The Jay Leno Show tonight at 10pm ET/PT -- his first musical guests are Jay-Z, Rihanna and guess who -- Kanye West. NBC has now announced that West will not only perform, but will also chat with the host. Stay tuned!
- What would MusicMonday be without some free downloads? Have you ever checked out AbsolutePunk.net? The site has a great forum with tons of freebies listed. Included now is Panic! at the Disco's new single, New Perspective. Here is the link to download that song and MANY more. Enjoy!