- In another soft weekend, Disney's 3D Tron: Legacy debuted on top of the domestic box office with a $43.6 million opening. Quite a big leap from the original Tron film -- which opened with $4.8 million on the weekend of July 9, 1982.
- Warner Bros.' 3D family entry Yogi Bear opened to $16.7 million to finish in second place. The CG/live-action hybrid had been expected to open at $20 million.
- Coming in #3 was last week's winner -- 20th Century Fox and Walden Media's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It fell 48% to $12.4 million for a new domestic cume of $42.8 million. Overseas, the third Narnia film won the weekend with $29.9 million for a worldwide gross of $166.8 million.
- At #4, Paramount/Relativity Media's The Fighter grossed $12.2 million as it expanded after opening the weekend before in N.Y. and Los Angeles.
- Due to mostly poor reviews, Sony's How Do You Know (filmed partially in my neighborhood!) opened to a paltry $7.6 million -- only good for #8.
- The weekend was down about 3% from the same frame last year.
- All figures are industry estimates. Final weekend figures will be released on Monday.
- Reviews of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Black Swan and other movies not in the top 10 can be found by clicking on the Film Reviews archive icon at left.
- Sources: Hollywood.com, Hollywood Reporter