- Click on the chart to enlarge.
- The new romantic drama Dear John unexpectedly ended the seven-week reign of Avatar at the weekend box office in North America, pulling in large numbers of young female moviegoers. Audiences for the film were 84% female and two-thirds were under the age of 21.
- Avatar earned $23.6 million in its eighth weekend, taking its total to $630.1 million. James Cameron's sci-fi blockbuster surpassed the $601 million haul of his 1997 release Titanic last Tuesday to become the biggest movie of all time in the United States and Canada. With a record $2.2 billion worldwide, Avatar also recently soared past the $1.8 billion Titanic took in globally.
- Reviews of Edge of Darkness, Crazy Heart, Sherlock Holmes and other movies not in the top ten can be found by clicking on the Film Reviews archive image at left.
- All figures are industry estimates. Actual figures are released on Monday.
- Don't forget to vote in the Oscar poll at left -- which film most deserves to win for Best Picture?
- Sources: Nielsen EDI, ew.com, The Hollywood Reporter