- Click on the chart to enlarge.
- DreamWorks Animation's Shrek Forever After held onto the #1 spot for the third straight week -- earning an estimated $25.3 million during the weekend. The animated sequel now has reached $183 million gross to date.
- None of the four big new openers could topple the ogre -- Universal's Get Him to the Greek, an R-rated comedy about a drug-addled rocker, came the closest with 17.4 million --good for second place. Lionsgate's action comedy Killers, starring Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl, registered $16.1 million for third place. Fox's live-action family comedy Marmaduke bowed limply with $11.3 million in sixth, while Warner Bros.-distributed sci-fi thriller Splice pieced together just $7.5 million to open in eighth.
- Meanwhile, last week's big openers slid further down. Disney's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time fell 54% in its second weekend to $13.9 million -- good for fourth place and a $59.5 cume. One rung lower, Warners' Sex and the City 2 fell 59% with $12.7 million and a cume of $73.4 million.
- The weekend top 10 rung up $120 million, or 24% less than top performers in a comparable frame last year, with industry experts at a loss to explain yet another weak session in a soft start to the summer box office.
- Reviews of Sex and the City 2 and other movies not in the top ten can be found by clicking on the Film Reviews archive icon at left.
- All figures are industry estimates. Final weekend figures are released on Monday.
- Sources: Nielsen EDI, ew.com, The Hollywood Reporter