- Warner Bros.' Inception held on to the top spot for the third straight weekend, as the fantasy thriller took in an estimated $27.5 million, bringing its total to $193.3 million
- As for new releases, Dinner for Schmucks, the Paramount comedy starring Steve Carell and Paul Rudd, followed closely behind Inception with $23.3 million. The Warner Bros. 3-D sequel Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore fetched $12.5 million in the #5 spot. And Charlie St. Cloud, the Universal Pictures drama starring Zac Efron, debuted weakly at #6 with $12.1 million.
- Overall revenues rose for the fifth-straight weekend as Hollywood continued to recover from a lackluster box office earlier in the summer. Receipts totaled $145 million, up over 15 percent from the same weekend last year, when receipts totaled $125.7 million and the Judd Apatow film Funny People debuted in the #1 spot with $22.6 million.
- Reviews of Inception, Dinner for Schmucks, Despicable Me, Toy Story 3, Grown Ups and other movies not in the top ten can be found by clicking on the Film Reviews archive icon at left.
- All figures are industry estimates. Final weekend figures are released on Monday.
- Sources: Nielsen EDI, Hollywood.com, AP