- The lowest grossing weekend of the year thus far is led by Sony/Screen Gems’ Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D with a franchise high of $27.7 million -- thanks to 3D and IMAX powered screenings. It is the fourth installment in the action series that stars Milla Jovovich.
- Screen Gems also claimed the #2 spot as the heist thriller Takers earned $6.1 million, rising one place; its total stands at $48.1 million after three weekends.
- Last weekend's top film, Focus Features' George Clooney assassin drama The American, dropped to #3 with $5.9 million, for a 12-day haul of $28.3 million.
- Reviews of Going the Distance, The Other Guys, Inception, Eat Pray Love and other movies not in the top 10, can be found by clicking on the Film Reviews archive icon at left.
- The weekend after Labor Day is notoriously a slow weekend. With Resident Evil: Afterlife being the only big studio release, overall sales hit their lowest level in two years this weekend (lowest since the September 5-7 weekend of 2008).
- All figures are industry estimates. Final weekend figures will be released on Monday.
- Sources: Hollywood.com, Reuters