Halloween is this Sunday -- and most of the big networks (except CBS) are getting in on the fun. Here is the schedule of animated specials celebrating the holiday.
Thursday, October 28
8pm ET on ABC --
It's the Great Pumpkin,
- The third prime time animated television special based on the comic strip Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz.
- Debuted on CBS on October 27, 1966 -- following the CBS premieres of A Charlie Brown Christmas (December 9, 1965) and Charlie Brown's All-Stars (June 8, 1966).
- It just never gets old watching poor Linus waiting in the pumpkin patch for The Great Pumpkin! And hearing Charlie Brown's repeated infamous line while trick-or-treating!
- Stick around to watch Linus run for office in You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown -- which originally aired on CBS on October 29, 1972.
- All-new special featuring film star, Shrek -- the second spin-off from the movie series which started in 2001 (the Christmas special Shrek the Halls debuted on ABC on November 28, 2007).
- Halloween is Shrek's favorite holiday, and this year he’s planning a night of frights -- as he challenges Fiona, Donkey, Puss in Boots and the other fairy tale characters to spend the night in Lord Farquaad’s haunted castle telling scary stories. The last one to be scared "Shrekless" will win.
Friday, October 29
8pm ET on ABC -- It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
- ABC is re-airing the classic one night later -- with You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown following once again at 8:30pm ET.
Saturday, October 30
8pm ET on NBC -- Scared Shrekless
8:30pm ET on NBC -- Monsters vs. Aliens:
Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space
- NBC kicks off the night by repeating the new Shrek special.
- Next up is the new-ish special starring the cast of the 2009 hit film, Monsters vs. Aliens.
- The Monsters vs. Aliens special premiered on NBC on October 28, 2009.
- Susan (aka Ginormica) and the Monsters must stop mutant aliens disguised as innocent-looking Halloween jack-o-lanterns from implementing their fiendish plan to take over Earth.
Sunday, November 7
8pm ET on FOX -- The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XXI
- Due to the MLB World Series, the annual Simpsons Halloween special is delayed a week.
- It's the 22nd season of The Simpsons -- and even if you no longer watch, you have to tune in for the annual Halloween special!
- The 21st "Treehouse of Horror" episode -- like the others before -- will consist of three self-contained segments. Guest stars include Hugh Laurie and Daniel Radcliffe.
- Tale #1 -- "War and Pieces" -- Marge, worried about the effects of excessively violent video games, encourages Bart and Milhouse to give wholesome, classic board games a shot. The best friends discover that board games are not boring after all when they find themselves playing a real-life game in which they must beat all the challenges before they are allowed to return to home. Think Jumanji!
- Tale #2 -- "Tweenlight" -- Twilight fans are in for a real treat as Lisa becomes smitten with a mysterious new student, Edmund (Daniel Radcliffe), who also happens to be a vampire. When a romance blossoms, the young lovers run away to Dracula-la Land, leaving Homer to come to Lisa's rescue.
- Tale #3 -- "Master and Cadaver" -- Homer and Marge set sail on a romantic second honeymoon, but are interrupted when they rescue Roger (Hugh Laurie), a castaway who escaped an attempted poisoning on his ship. Convinced that Roger is sabotaging their getaway and plotting a murder of his own, Homer and Marge take matters into their own hands.