- Reviews of new releases District 9, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard and Ponyo can be found here.
- Two other movies were released yesterday as well -- Bandslam for the teenage set, and Ashton Kutcher's new racy film, Spread. The latter was not even made available for EntertainmentBlogger to preview -- so that's not a good sign. It received mostly poor reviews from other reliable sources. Sorry, Ashton! Well, the good news for him -- most of his 3 million+ Twitter followers are too young to see an R-rated film anyway.
- Out of these new releases, which one were you most eager to see? Take the poll at left to cast your vote!
- And remember to check back here or follow EntertainmentBlogger on Twitter (@Entertainment2u) -- where every Sunday, you'll get the box office sales update.
- Trying to save money this weekend? Why not watch a classic movie online -- for free?! This summer marks the 25th anniversary of the hit, Ghostbusters. Starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, the film was the highest-grossing comedy of the 1980s. And to honor the anniversary, the producers have made it available online for free. So grab some popcorn, get comfortable, click the movie poster at right and enjoy.
- As reported last week, competition is heating up in the DVD rental arena (see here). And as predicted, more codes for FREE movies are being made available to consumers. Redbox and Blockbuster are not the only players in the rental kiosk business. MovieCube is available in some states -- and now through August 27, you can obtain a free rental with this code: ETUX9A8 -- so click here to see if there is a MovieCube kiosk near you!
- Sadly, we lost the talented movie writer, director and producer John Hughes suddenly last week at the age of 59. Thanks to all who voted in the related poll at left. If you're not familiar with his comedy classics from the 1980s, I recommend that you rent a few -- like The Breakfast Club (at right). The aforementioned rental kiosks don't usually hold older titles, so I suggest you add some to your Netflix que -- or make a point of visiting your local video store.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
There were a lot of new releases this weekend. Are you going to run out to see one? Or do you like to rent instead? Or maybe look for freebies online? Well no matter what mood you're in, there is a little something for every movie lover in this weekend's roundup...