RIP, Brittany Murphy
Although she will be remembered mostly for her acting, Brittany Murphy also dabbled in music. She was in a band called Blessed Soul in the late 1990s. And for the 2006 film, Happy Feet, she covered Queen's "Somebody to Love" and Earth, Wind & Fire's "Boogie Wonderland." But her biggest music success came in partnership with DJ Paul Oakenfold. Together, they released the 2006 single "Faster Kill Pussycat" from the album A Lively Mind. The song became a club hit, and hit number one on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart. It also hit number seven in the UK singles chart. Click on the image above to see a video of the catchy single. We'll never know if more music was ahead for the young star -- who died suddenly yesterday at the age of 32. RIP, Brittany.
Hang in there -- it's the last week of Christmas music! And plenty of non-holiday tunes are available if you've already had enough! Here are this week's offerings:
- Amazon's 25 days of free holiday music concludes this week; click here for today's offering.
- The Fray has four free acoustic Christmas songs for download -- if you join the band's fan club (also free) here.
- Click here for a Christmas single from The Smithereens.
- A final holiday offering comes from the folks at HBO's hit "Big Love;" click here for a free download of the Juniper Creek Christmas album.
- Click here for free downloads from artists participating in New Zealand's Parachute Festival early in 2010.
- Compliments of Bandwear.com, click here for a free download of Bowling for Soup's "Goodbye Friend."
- For US music fans only -- Facebook, iTunes and Starbucks have partnered for a free 20-song sampler here.
And don't forget to continually check the following sources for more free downloads -- new songs covering all genres are added frequently. Just click on the links below and enjoy some new tunes.
- This is the last MusicMonday column of 2009 -- see you next year!