- Click on the chart to enlarge.
- James Cameron's Avatar soared to No. 1 with $73 million domestically and $159.2 million overseas, for a $232.2 million worldwide total. The film cost an estimated $400 million to make.
- A massive snowstorm on the East Coast kept many people at home, cutting into overall weekend movie business -- and preventing Avatar from breaking the December opening record of $77.2 million set two years ago by Will Smith's I Am Legend.
- A review of Up in the Air can be found by clicking on the Film Reviews archive image at left.
- All figures are industry estimates. Actual figures are released on Monday.
- Monday, 12/21 Update -- Avatar tally bumped up from $73 million to $77 million
- Sources: Nielsen EDI, ew.com, AP, Variety
- Reviews of Brothers and It's Complicated (opening Christmas Day) will be posted here soon.