My Jazz Fest Trip
New Orleans is a great town -- and if you haven't had the chance yet to visit, I strongly recommend you consider planning a trip to the next Jazz & Heritage Festival. Yes, jazz plays a big part in the fest -- but other genres are strongly represented as well. There are a mind-boggling 12 stages spread out over a race track's fair grounds. Throughout seven days, the music starts close to 11am and stretches out to 7pm. The food is top-notch -- and includes Creole and Cajun offerings as well as international cuisine. And there is plenty of art work and other goods for sale. Click here for the fest's Website to learn more.
I scheduled my trip over the last four days of the festival -- to capitalize on Pearl Jam headlining the second weekend. The boys did not disappoint. And have you heard -- in a class act by the band, the concert was simulcast to our soldiers in Iraq. Click on my souvenir shirt above to see the band's set list. My only complaint -- the sheer size of the audience for the main act. It was overwhelming! I actually enjoyed some of the smaller acts I saw more -- only because I had never seen some before -- and we were able to move up closer to the stage to get a more intimate experience. Still, Pearl Jam rocked it out like they always do! And it was great to add Louisiana to my previous list of states I've seen the band: California, New Jersey, New York, Maryland and Pennsylvania!
Amongst all the many jazz, pop, folk and rock performances, here is just a small sampling of other acts I saw and recommend:
- Astral Project
- Band of Horses - opening for Pearl Jam on current tour!
- Derek Truck & Susan Tedeschi Band
- Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes
- Gov't Mule
- Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk
- Martin Sexton
- The Radiators
- Richie Havens
- Van Morrison
- Widespread Panic
Here are this week's free offerings:
- Speaking of jazz, Amazon has two free jazz downloads this week with multiple tracks -- both can be downloaded via the link here (just check upper right of that landing page).
- From The Black Lee Catastrophe comes 11 free tracks from the band's new album, American Hotel. Click here for the downloads.
- Join the Styx email list here and receive a free MP3 of their brand new song, "Difference In The World."
- Disney is giving away 50 free downloads -- one a day since last week -- on its Walt Disney Records Facebook page here.
- Also via a Facebook page, you can download Jack Johnson's "Breakdown" here.
- And how about some goofy downloads? Compliments of Waffle House, here are four free downloads -- and yep, lyrics mention the restaurant chain!
And don't forget to continually check the following sources for more free downloads -- new songs covering all genres are added frequently. Just click on the links below and enjoy some new tunes.
The next EntertainmentBlogger contest will be announced in this column NEXT Monday, May 17! Want 10 bonus entries? Just tweet this message below ONCE today and you've got them! Remember, only once -- and only today.
Follow @Entertainment2u for the next EntertainmentBlogger contest -- it launches next Monday, May 17 @ http://bit.ly/4MvJV -- #MusicMonday