- Click on the chart to enlarge.
- The first summer blockbuster, Iron Man 2, had a strong opening with $133.6 million -- beating the box office debut of its predecessor, but falling short of a record.
- The first Iron Man pic -- also starring Robert Downey Jr., who enjoyed a personal-best bow with the sequel -- debuted with $98.6 million in May 2008.
- Some experts had suggested that broad pre-release buzz could translate into a record opening by Iron Man 2, but the $158.4 million first-frame performance of The Dark Knight in July 2008 remains secure in the record books.
- Also of note, the animated How to Train Your Dragon crossed the $200 million mark in its seventh week of release.
- Reviews of other movies not in the top ten can be found by clicking on the Film Reviews archive icon at left.
- All figures are industry estimates. Actual figures are released on Monday.
- Sources: Nielsen EDI, ew.com, AP, The Hollywood Reporter